- "Whirlwind artillery tank deployed."
The Whirlwind is a light artillery vehicle for Space Marines in Dawn of War. It is available at the Machine Cult, costing 145 Requisition and 345 Power and 2 Vehicle Population slots. Although it can be outgunned easily by other heavier vehicles, it has the ability to deal bonus damage against buildings and can disrupt infantry, all at a much higher range than most units. Like all artificial constructs, it has no Morale.
- Light artillery tank.
- Artillery can be fired at very long range, and does not require line of sight.
- Artillery is highly inaccurate, especially when firing blind.
- Effective against infantry and dug-in positions.
- 1000 Hit Points.
- Deals no melee damage.
- Deals 27-33 ranged damage.
- Can deal up to X6 bonus damage against buildings.
In addition to Stop, Move, Attack Move and ability to change Stances, Whirlwinds have the following abilities:
- Attack Ground: The Whirlwind fires projectiles continuously at a targeted location until attacked by the enemy or moved by the player. Attack Ground commands issued at locations beyond the Fog of War are less accurate. Use this with caution, since friendly units are also affected.
Whirlwinds are essentially a Rhino transport with a ballistic missile launcher mounted on top of it. It has huge range and can even attack beyond its line of sight, making it effective against buildings and can disrupt infantry very effectively. However, it is inaccurate especially beyond the Line of Sight which can result in friendly fire. To minimize its inaccuracy, spotter unit should be deployed in front of it to utilize the long range. Any ranged unit can serve as spotter units. If you use these, you should have more than one of these and keep an eye on them to avoid unnecessary risks. They will fire on enemy melee troops engaging your units, which are frequently encountered. Consider using the Cease Fire stance when not manually choosing targets.
- Whirlwind here!
- Whirlwind artillery tank here!
- Moving out!
- The Machine Spirit is prepared.
- As you command.
- Approaching target.
- An easy objective.
- His will be done.
- Triangulating attack corners.
- His wrath falls from the heavens.
- They will never see it coming.
|Space Marine Units|
|Dawn of War|
|Infantry||Servitor · Scout Marine · Apothecary|
|Heavy Infantry||Space Marine · Assault Marine · Terminator · Assault Terminator|
|Vehicles||Rhino · Land Speeder · Dreadnought · Hellfire Dreadnought · Whirlwind · Predator · Land Raider|
|Commanders||Librarian · Force Commander|